Sunday, August 7, 2011

G.O.O.D. Bag Prep: August 2011

This month I began preparing my First Aid Kit. I purchased a Lock & Lock First Aid Container. It has not arrived yet, so in it's place is a rectangular Lock & Lock kitchen container. Inside, which will move to the First Aid one, I placed all my first aid supplies, and some I purchased the last time I went to the store:

  • Band-Aids

  • Cortisone 10

  • Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)

  • Aspirin

  • Lavender Oil.....This is the real thing, not Essence of Lavender oil. It can be used to sooth bug bites and burns. It can also be used to relieve minor headaches. I did try it on a heat rash recently, and it did relieve the itch somewhat. (Note: Essence of Lavender Oil has an ingredient that will aggravate burns, so it is not recommended for a first aid kit.)

  • Super Glue.....This was originally created for use in emergency medicine, specifically during wars. It was used to close wounds when there wasn't time to sew it shut. It can still be used for that purpose, but I would get training in emergency field triage before trying, because some wounds can't be fixed with it. Also, if things return to normal after the catastrophe, those in power will question your training. If you have a certificate to prove you know what you're doing it will keep you out of trouble.

  • Dayquil

  • Vick's Vapo-Rub

  • Cotton Balls

  • Waterproof Adhesive Tape

  • Oral Thermometer

No comments:

Post a Comment