There are several food items that don't go bad, or at least not for a long time. It's a good idea to keep them on hand at all times. Especially if SHTF (shit hits the fan) or TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) happens.
01) Sugar: This product does not support bacterial growth, and as a result it will not spoil. Brown, white, powdered, all are the same in this respect. The hard part is to keep it from hardening into chunks. To keep it fresh (and to keep bugs out), store it in a airtight container. I use Lock & Lock containers for this, but if you feel like you can use a Ziploc bag (just make sure it's sealed).
02) Pure Vanilla Extract: This will last a long time, if stored in a cool dark place.
03) Rice: This grain keeps a long time, provided it doesn't get infested with bugs. The only exception is brown rice because of its higher oil content. Brown rice should be kept in the fridge or freezer. All other types may be stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. Once again, I use Lock & Lock for this.
04) Corn Starch: This one will last indefinitely. Store in a cool, dry place and store tightly after each use. A name-brand now comes in a re-sealable container, but I usually transfer this to a Lock & Lock container as well.
05) Honey: Another product that lasts indefinitely. It's a healthy artificial sweetener and is naturally immune to bacteria. If the honey crystallizes, place in a pan and gently simmer in water until it returns to a usable state.
06) Distilled Spirits: Gin, Whiskey, Rum, etc. don't spoil. While they don't have a medicinal use that I know of, if TEOTWAWKI occurs it can be used for trading.
07) Salt: This spice is not made from a plant. It is, in fact, mineral. As such, it does not spoil. Keep in a cool, dry place to prevent clumping.
08) Corn Syrup: This artificial sweetener keeps indefinitely as long as you keep it tightly sealed and store it in a cool, dry area.
09) Maple Syrup: It will never spoil if you refrigerate it or freeze it. For long-term storage, seal it in an airtight plastic container and freeze it.
10) Distilled White Vinegar: This product is a multi-use item. It can be used in cooking, preserving, cleaning and laundry. Seal it tightly after each use and store the bottle in a cool, dark place to keep it for years.
Note: Credit for this list goes to The Survival Mom and The Mother Nature Network